Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
08/27/14 at 06:52:07
News:

Our countdowns are approximations and NOT intended to depict the "actual start time" for events.

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kanab Area, Poverty Canyon Trails (Read 799 times)
hmsbeagle

I Love Utah!

Kanab Area, Poverty Canyon Trails
02/27/12 at 20:52:43

Can anyone provide some intel on the Poverty Canyon trail, leaving Hwy 9 east of Zion National Park and dropping southwest off the White Cliffs toward the East Fork Virgin River?  There are pictures on the inactive UT-AZ club website.  The BLM shows it as Route 70 in the Transportation Plan maps.

I've been looking at this trail on the maps for years, and hope to ride it this May.  I can get the basic navigation info from the BLM website, but was hoping for some advice about staging areas, trail difficulty, riding times, and points of interest.

Thanks a bunch.

IP Logged
3TV

Re: Kanab Area, Poverty Canyon Trails
Reply #1 - 02/27/12 at 21:22:59

You can stage just off the highway, ... if the buffalo heard isn't right there.  If the buffalo are around you may want to drive down the dirt road for a half mile or so, and just pick a different area to unload the ATVs.  We tried to unload the ATVs while the buffalo were there one time, and got chased off.  Seriously, I had to get out of there in a hurry because one of the buffalo decided he didn't want us there.  And I always thought bufallo were pretty tame Roll Eyes.

The trail itself is fun and scenic, with nothing too challenging for an ATV.  Road surface is sand and slickrock, mostly sand.  The dugway is narrow for Jeeps, but not for ATVs.  You will drop into a narrow slickrock canyon toward the end of the trail, and the climb back out the other side is a bit off camber, but it can be done easily enough.  The slickrock canyon is a tight squeeze for Jeeps.  You need to fold the mirrors in, and still only have literally inches to spare on each side, but once again, not a problem for ATVs.

The side trail down to the Virgin River is closed, with a BLM sign stating something about a wilderness study area.  Its too bad they closed this side trail.  The trip down to the river, and back up again used to be the most fun and most challenging part of the trail.  The river stop was always a good lunch stop as well.

2012 Can Am Renegade 1000 X Xc
2013 Polaris Rzr 800 LE
2015 Polaris Rzr 1000 XP Desert Edition
  IP Logged
hmsbeagle

I Love Utah!

Re: Kanab Area, Poverty Canyon Trails
Reply #2 - 02/27/12 at 21:59:17

Thanks.  I'll keep an eye out for marauding bison!

I was aware of the closure, in spite of some excellent letters to the BLM from the Kanab locals during the planning process.  Sad, and totally unnecessary.  I'll probably hike the closed section anyway--sounds like it'd be worth it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print