Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/20/14 at 15:00:34
News:

Our countdowns are approximations and NOT intended to depict the "actual start time" for events.

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paiute Trail 50 Inch gates (Read 3480 times)
Frank Cole
Newbies

I Love Utah!

Paiute Trail 50 Inch gates
12/02/11 at 19:56:06

Myself and a Couple Of friends are planning a 14 Day trip to the Paiute Trail

in september of 2012. I ride a 2011 Polaris Sportsman 850 XP. I put MSA  

Wheels and PitBull Growler Tires on it and it is now 51 3/4 inches wide. I  

sold the stock Wheels Back to the dealer for a discount on the tire and  

wheel kit. Will my machine pass thru the gates at almost 52 inches wide.

We will be driving all the way from Pennsylvania and I don't want to get  

there and then find out my ATV won't fit. Thank you for any help

IP Logged
Walkequad
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
Big Ride 8

I Love Riding!

Re: Paiute Trail 50 Inch gates
Reply #1 - 12/02/11 at 20:14:57

You could fit thought most gates but if you got caught being over 50 inchs the could be pretty big.

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
2009 Sportsman 850

IP Logged
Don S.
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
Big Ride 8

101st Airborne

Reply #2 - 12/02/11 at 21:07:37

You could ride most of  the Piaute main trails with your quad being over 50".  However there are many side trails and some parts of the main trails you could not get on.  

I would suggest you buy the Piaute Trial MAP on this web sght.  The new map shows the 50" trials.  It would help you plan your ride and see where you can and can't ride.  

I would suggest you borrow somones stock wheels and be under 50"

2010 Rzr
2007 Honda Rincon
  IP Logged
Ronnie
Aristocrat

I Love Utah!

Reply #3 - 12/02/11 at 21:10:27

We did a 1000 mile ride there in September and at 50 inches we had to work through some of the gates by rocking back and forth. Anything over 50 and it will not go through. We measured all of our machines and one was exactly 50 inches. You will be to wide.  

Ronnie

IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

Reply #4 - 12/03/11 at 11:33:40

Stickily speaking the law allows up to a $5000.00 fine for operating a machine wider than 50" on a restricted trail. Is it worth the risk? It could be an expensive added expense to a vacation if your caught.

Although you might "fit" through some of the gates your still not legal and the gates are not there as a measuring device. It is a sign post telling people the trail is restricted to 50" vehicles.  

It might be wiser to check Craig's list or eBay or even a few dealers for some stock wheels for trips to areas with narrow trail requirements out of respect for the trails and the rules that govern them.  

Or we could all just keep disobeying the rules until we loose the right to ride the trails we have now, and have no credibility or justification for why we should be allowed to open back up any that have been closed for bogus reasons.

Find some stock wheels, come on out and play and we will show you some of the most amazing country you have ever ridden in Smiley

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
The ATVUtah.com Forums Team.
Buy my book my poor Quad needs gas money
WWW   IP Logged
Frank Cole
Newbies

I Love Utah!

Reply #5 - 12/12/11 at 16:14:02

Thank you all very much for your replies.  

I went ahead and bought a set of stock wheels off of my dealer. So that i can ride any of the trails on the Paiute.  It just wouldn't be the same to come out and not be able to ride all of the trails.  With the stock wheels and the pitbull tires my machine is now 48 3/4 " wide so now I will be legal on any of the trails.

IP Logged
Ronnie
Aristocrat

I Love Utah!

Reply #6 - 12/13/11 at 05:54:30

Do you have any of the over fenders added to keep mud off with the wider tires. If you do you will need to take those off as well. A buddy of mine that went with us put some on his XP and forgot to take them off. The first gate we came to fixed that problem for him.

Ronnie

IP Logged
Kenny Lone
Former Member

Reply #7 - 02/01/12 at 08:45:32

Quote from ATVUtah on 12/03/11 at 11:33:40:
Stickily speaking the law allows up to a $5000.00 fine for operating a machine wider than 50" on a restricted trail. Is it worth the risk? It could be an expensive added expense to a vacation if your caught.

Although you might "fit" through some of the gates your still not legal and the gates are not there as a measuring device. It is a sign post telling people the trail is restricted to 50" vehicles.

It might be wiser to check Craig's list or eBay or even a few dealers for some stock wheels for trips to areas with narrow trail requirements out of respect for the trails and the rules that govern them.

Or we could all just keep disobeying the rules until we loose the right to ride the trails we have now, and have no credibility or justification for why we should be allowed to open back up any that have been closed for bogus reasons.

Find some stock wheels, come on out and play and we will show you some of the most amazing country you have ever ridden in Smiley

This is worth repeating.  

Please respect the Paiute Trail and the laws that protect it.

If I catch you on the wrong side of a gate with a 50"+ vehicle I will take your picture and turn you in th the authorities and I guarantee you that they will prosecute.  

IP Logged
easy does it
God Member

time to git it, hit
it n go

Reply #8 - 02/02/12 at 10:39:47

Quote from Frank Cole on 12/12/11 at 16:14:02:
Thank you all very much for your replies.

I went ahead and bought a set of stock wheels off of my dealer. So that i can ride any of the trails on the Paiute. It just wouldn't be the same to come out and not be able to ride all of the trails. With the stock wheels and the pitbull tires my machine is now 48 3/4 " wide so now I will be legal on any of the trails.

Good choice, Frank. Ensuring you're under 50" will make your trip well worthwhile, and your willingness to be responsible is appreciated. As you can tell by this thread, not all who ride the Paiute and other nearby trails are like you. There are people who "don't sweat the small stuff" and come out to ride, then end up going around/trying to dismantle the gates when they realize they can't get through them. Thanks for making the effort to be prepared for your trip, and feel free to follow Kenny's lead when you are here by photographing and reporting others who are breaking the law because they don't care enough to do their due diligence the way you have. Ensuring responsible use is probably the best way for trails to be kept available for us all. Have a great ride!  

Jeff

07 Sportsman 500 X2
  IP Logged
ahhcrap

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 02/02/12 at 11:26:53

On the RZR's you can also crank the tension on your shocks to lift the machine up and that will get you a couple of inchs, I had to do this on mine and now it's fine, but stiff, even at 50" there's some gates that are at bad angles 01 above Fremont Indian Museum that got installed in a bad spot by a tank and you can't get straight enough to get through properly. But you do the best you can, you'll get some nice rub marks on that one, I'm sure there will be some comments on this...

IP Logged
Don Parscale

I Love Utah!

Reply #10 - 02/14/12 at 12:58:59

I am 60in wide and never had a problem because there is always a trail around the 50in trails.
DON~~~

Z TICKET
  IP Logged
KTMer
Newbies

I love ATVs!

Reply #11 - 02/14/12 at 21:53:25

Quote from Don Parscale on 02/14/12 at 12:58:59:
I am 60in wide and never had a problem because there is always a trail around the 50in trails.
DON~~~

Your gona get flamed for that coment...

IP Logged
Wild Bill
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride 8

Let's Ride

Reply #12 - 02/14/12 at 22:10:29

DON~~~

WOW I hope you dont run into me on a 50" trail as I would take your photo and call the proper authority's and turn you in.
But hey thats just me.

2014 Can-am Outlander 800R Max XT
2013 Dodge 2500 CTD
Big Ride 6,7,8

Public Lands Equal Access Alliance
Dedicated To The Preservation and Expansion of Public Land Access for Responsible Outdoor Recreation
WWW zuw1   IP Logged
m74me
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride 8

I Love Utah!

Reply #13 - 02/14/12 at 23:21:05

Bill, I hope what Don means is that he takes the alternate routes that are designated for the wider vehicles and he can still get to where he needs to go.  I didn't read into his comment that he goes around the gates.  I too carry a camera and have taken pictures on a couple of occasions and turn in violators.

IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

Reply #14 - 02/15/12 at 05:31:53

Quote from KTMer on 02/14/12 at 21:53:25:
DON~~~

Your gona get flamed for that coment...

I smell smoke Smiley

Polaris 570 RZR
If the women don't find me handsome, At least they will find me handy! Red Green
  IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member

Reply #15 - 02/15/12 at 06:06:42

Quote from ahhcrap on 02/02/12 at 11:26:53:
there's some gates that are at bad angles 01 above Fremont Indian Museum that got installed in a bad spot

That sounds like the gate a few of us installed ~2 years ago. Do note though that that gate is more like 60" wide, but yes - on a tight corner.

Hello, my name is: Jim

2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 (HO/EPS/Browning Edition)
2005 & 2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i
2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega/Laramie Resistol Edition
2010 RoadWarrior 395 (43' 5'er)

The random world and adventures of BruteForce
WWW   IP Logged
BruteForce
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member

Reply #16 - 02/15/12 at 06:07:54

Quote from m74me on 02/14/12 at 23:21:05:
Bill, I hope what Don means is that he takes the alternate routes that are designated for the wider vehicles and he can still get to where he needs to go. I didn't read into his comment that he goes around the gates. I too carry a camera and have taken pictures on a couple of occasions and turn in violators.

That's what I assumed he meant as well.. There are generally side (detour) trails that allow the wider machines to legally bypass the 50" gated areas.

Hello, my name is: Jim

2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 (HO/EPS/Browning Edition)
2005 & 2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i
2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega/Laramie Resistol Edition
2010 RoadWarrior 395 (43' 5'er)

The random world and adventures of BruteForce
WWW   IP Logged
grizzly660fan
Newbies

I Love Utah!

Reply #17 - 08/16/13 at 14:44:32

Quote from ATVUtah on 12/03/11 at 11:33:40:
Stickily speaking the law allows up to a $5000.00 fine for operating a machine wider than 50" on a restricted trail.

I know this is an old thread, I was wondering if you can point me to that law?

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

Reply #18 - 08/16/13 at 17:03:37

Federal Regulations Section 36 CRF 261  
Per 36 CFR Parts 212, 251, 261, and 295 Travel Management; Designated Routes and Areas for Motor Vehicle Use; Final Rule from the US Forest Service Website.
Quote:

Violations of prohibitions in part 261 are Class B
misdemeanors, which are punishable by
a prison term of up to six months (18
U.S.C. 3559(a)(7); 36 CFR 261.1b).
Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 3571(e), the $500
maximum fine specified in 261.1b is
superseded by the $5000 maximum fine
established for Class B misdemeanors in
18 U.S.C. 3571(b)(6).

Quote:
261.13 Motor vehicle use.
After National Forest System roads, National Forest System trails, and areas on National Forest System lands have been designated pursuant to 36 CFR 212.51 on an administrative unit or a Ranger District of the National Forest System, and these designations have been identified on a motor vehicle use map, it is prohibited to possess or operate a motor vehicle on National Forest System lands in that administrative unit or Ranger District other than in accordance with those designations, provided that the following vehicles and uses are exempted from this prohibition:
a) Aircraft;

(b) Watercraft;

(c) Over-snow vehicles;

(d) Limited administrative use by the Forest Service;

(e) Use of any fire, military, emergency, or law enforcement vehicle for emergency purposes;

(f) Authorized use of any combat or combat support vehicle for national defense purposes;

(g) Law enforcement response to violations of law, including pursuit;

(h) Motor vehicle use that is specifically authorized under a written authorization issued under Federal law or regulations; and

(i) Use of a road or trail that is authorized by a legally documented right-of-way held by a State, county, or other local public road authority.

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
The ATVUtah.com Forums Team.
Buy my book my poor Quad needs gas money
WWW   IP Logged
grizzly660fan
Newbies

I Love Utah!

Reply #19 - 08/16/13 at 21:14:14

Quote from ATVUtah on 08/16/13 at 17:03:37:
Federal Regulations Section 36 CRF 261
Per 36 CFR Parts 212, 251, 261, and 295 Travel Management; Designated Routes and Areas for Motor Vehicle Use; Final Rule from the US Forest Service Website.
Quote:

Violations of prohibitions in part 261 are Class B
misdemeanors, which are punishable by
a prison term of up to six months (18
U.S.C. 3559(a)(7); 36 CFR 261.1b).
Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 3571(e), the $500
maximum fine specified in 261.1b is
superseded by the $5000 maximum fine
established for Class B misdemeanors in
18 U.S.C. 3571(b)(6).

Quote:
261.13 Motor vehicle use.
After National Forest System roads, National Forest System trails, and areas on National Forest System lands have been designated pursuant to 36 CFR 212.51 on an administrative unit or a Ranger District of the National Forest System, and these designations have been identified on a motor vehicle use map, it is prohibited to possess or operate a motor vehicle on National Forest System lands in that administrative unit or Ranger District other than in accordance with those designations, provided that the following vehicles and uses are exempted from this prohibition:
a) Aircraft;

(b) Watercraft;

(c) Over-snow vehicles;

(d) Limited administrative use by the Forest Service;

(e) Use of any fire, military, emergency, or law enforcement vehicle for emergency purposes;

(f) Authorized use of any combat or combat support vehicle for national defense purposes;

(g) Law enforcement response to violations of law, including pursuit;

(h) Motor vehicle use that is specifically authorized under a written authorization issued under Federal law or regulations; and

(i) Use of a road or trail that is authorized by a legally documented right-of-way held by a State, county, or other local public road authority.

Thank you!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print