Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
04/20/14 at 15:00:39
News:

Our countdowns are approximations and NOT intended to depict the "actual start time" for events.

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
? about street legal side x sides (Read 2806 times)
BIGJOHNT

I Love Utah!

? about street legal side x sides
04/30/10 at 23:39:19

I have heard different thing from different people . If you put a street legal kit on a side x side is it really legal ? I know you need insurance aswell.
But I have heard that it my not be legal in all citites ? Whats the scoop ?

"Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim"
  IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

Re: ? about street legal side x sides
Reply #1 - 05/01/10 at 02:42:53

I am sure city fathers all think differantly. Our cheif of police had our mayor proclaim no such critters within the city limits after a side by side was going a few blocks to Wal Mart. The funny thing is he owns ATVs himself Roll Eyes and made a public coment that those machines were not made for street riding. Good luck in your comunity. Smiley

And then again it depends on location and popularity of ATVs. Such as, in the comunities of heavy popularity. Some comunities have certain routes for ATVs or open their streets to any and all. Such as in and near the Paiute s trail system, Hurricane utah ect.

Polaris 570 RZR
If the women don't find me handsome, At least they will find me handy! Red Green
  IP Logged
easy does it
God Member

time to git it, hit
it n go

Reply #2 - 05/01/10 at 16:21:07

Here's what the Utah State Parks site has for info.  Toward the bottom is where you'll see the info about where street-legals can ride.

http://static.stateparks.utah.gov/docs/Street_Legal_ATV_Requirements.pdf

Then of course you can go into more detail on this site if you want.  Here's the link, it looks like there's a few pertinent areas in the '41-22-10' section.

http://www.atvutah.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1258400829

As I understand it, if you're street legal you basically are good to ride in town as long as your town has less than 7500 people.  For towns larger than that it can vary, i.e. here in Cedar City there are designated roads in town where ATVs/UTVs both street-legal and non can ride so people can access approved riding areas outside of town.  

For street-legal riding on highways, the state legislature tweaked a few things this year, but I can't recall offhand what they did.  I know freeways are off limits as well as some 4-lane state roads if I remember right.

07 Sportsman 500 X2
  IP Logged
BIGJOHNT

I Love Utah!

Reply #3 - 05/04/10 at 18:38:25

I guess St. George has still not got on board yet ? I here Santa Clara  Washington and of course Hurricane has setup the roads the utv's can ride on. Someone said that Bloomington has but I live there and have not seen a sign or anything as of yet. Hopefully soon. cry

"Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim"
  IP Logged
Kawi650

Ride safe and
responsible!

Reply #4 - 05/05/10 at 13:36:03

The change to the street legal ATV law that took place in this year's legislative session was pretty simple.  The original version of the law allowed street legal ATVs to operate on any highway of the state that had one lane in each direction, except for highways under the jurisdiction of Salt Lake County; highways under the jurisdiction of any city in Salt lake County; or highways under the jurisdiction of any city with a population of 7500 or more.  

This year's changes changed the "one lane in each direction" to allow operation on any highway except for "limited access highways".  The limitations on highways in Salt Lake County and cities with 7500 or more population still exist.  The intent was to open multi lane roads like Marysvale's Main Street (Hwy 89) which was technically closed under the old law because it has 2 lanes per side.

The big question, then, is what constitutes a "limited access highway".  I still haven't got a really clear answer from UDOT yet, but what I am starting to figure out is that any highway with a dividing element between the two halves is definitely included.  That dividing element could be a barrier, an island, a dirt barrow, etc.  So, interstates are still out, but other multilane, nondivided highways should be in.  

I'll get more posted as soon as I learn it.

Fred

Remember-- Protect Your Privilege, Stay on the Trail!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print