Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
12/20/14 at 04:27:09
News:

Our countdowns are approximations and NOT intended to depict the "actual start time" for events.

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
King Quad Problem (Read 14436 times)
Midnight Rider
God Member
Sponsoring Member

Ride Hard or Stay
Home

King Quad Problem
06/08/09 at 17:45:06

I have a riding buddy that has a 2008 King Quad 700 that had some issues yesterday. The word "Check" appeared on his digital display and we pulled over and check all the fluids on the quad. They were all fine and he started it up again but this time after the "Check" came on the display again the engine shut down while it was idling. He started it up again and put it in High and took off and it was doing fine. When we came to an area that required 4WD, he stopped and hit the 4WD button and the engine died instantly. When the quad was idling it wasn't too high or low, it just shut down all on its own.We live in Vegas and they're is not one good reliable shop to take it to so we will be heading to Utah to get it fix. Any one have any ideas on what could cause this ? I have the same machine and never had any issues with it.

2013 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4x4i EPS
  IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

Re: King Quad Problem
Reply #1 - 06/08/09 at 18:34:46

Check the battery voltage while running and when not. or have the charging system tested.

I have discovered my King Quad wont quite keep up the battery. The charge on the battery slowly drops after each days riding. It will run for a week or so then I start having funky issues with warning lights or it going into limp mode or simply acting like it is running out of gas. It seems my fuel pump is more fussy about the voltage than the computer because the computer has never shown a low voltage error code. I have also had it simply die when I engaged the 4X4 and decided it was voltage related as well because the shifter is electric and took just enough voltage away to kill the engine when the battery was low. I never see a light for not charging because I think it is charging just enough to not trip the light on yet cant keep up with the engine and lighting load. Ive had more problems when trying to do night rides as well. I can plug in the trickle charger over night and everything is OK for another week or so. I keep going to get a new voltage regulator for it then forget  Roll Eyes  Here at the park I just plug it in every night and it's been fine.

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
The ATVUtah.com Forums Team.
Buy my book my poor Quad needs gas money
WWW   IP Logged
dxrpnorma
Newbies

I love ATVs!

Reply #2 - 06/08/09 at 21:49:54

I had similar charging issues with my 07 Kingquad.  If you check out the tech tips at www.nyrocatv.com there will be a post under "Battery is charging poorly (Regulator direct wire mod). This describes the reason for little or no charging and the fix.  If requires splicing 2 wires from the output of the regulator to the battery.  One to the positive, and one to the negative.  I did this and have no issues whatsoever with a low charge on the battery any more.  The lights at night are much brighter too.  Its easy to do and well worth the time it takes.  Hope this helps.  Smiley

IP Logged
Midnight Rider
God Member
Sponsoring Member

Ride Hard or Stay
Home

Reply #3 - 06/09/09 at 08:54:23

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along.

IP Logged
Coop

I Love Utah!

Reply #4 - 06/10/09 at 13:36:27

Have you had the new updated ECU put on, and the new ignition switch?
If not get that done if they are still doing the recall.
Otherthan that, my battery never goes dead anymore, and I have 4000 mile on my stock battery.
Clean under the battery post connections real good.
Make sure the updates are done, and if all else fails check out  
nyrocatv.com.
Good luck
Coop

Best Bang! for your buck clutch modification!
20-30% lower take off ratio's, and 20-30 % lower engine braking, and no top speed loss!
My web site : http://coop45.webs.com/ See ya Coop
Contact me: coopsclutchmods@q.com
WWW   IP Logged
Radarsdad

Reply #5 - 06/12/09 at 22:32:24

Smiley  Ditto that on the Vegas repair shops!  I bought my Grizzlies in Utah and if I can't fix something myself, I take it back to Utah rather than trust these butchers with my investments.

IP Logged
kingquad
Sponsoring Member

I Love Utah!

Reply #6 - 06/26/09 at 13:32:49

There must be a gremlin the the electronics of  '07 KQ's.  I had to replace the fuel pump in Feb. on my 700, went for a few rides, and, the gauge started acting up again- many miles behind Grouse Creek-about 1/2 way into the ride.  I took the machine again to Layton cycle and they determined THIS time it was the electronic fuel gauge- replaced it-$300.  Total, I have about $750. trying to get an accurate reading for fuel.  Like I said, something must be bothering the electonics on these particular machines!

IP Logged
Midnight Rider
God Member
Sponsoring Member

Ride Hard or Stay
Home

Reply #7 - 07/01/09 at 00:46:59

Well now my 2007 KQ 700 is having problems. It turns over but it won"t start. It has some back fire coming out of the exhaust when I try to start it. I replaced the three month old spark plug which was black at the end with a new one and its still doing the same. I tried the pull start to no avail. I had battery issues awhile back and I have had to charged it a few times before riding because it was dead. Any ideas on what to try next ? Could it be the battery is too weak to get the fuel pump going? I hate to take into a shop not knowing the real issue and end up paying for something I don't need. Has anyone had their fuel pump replaced at a dealer, if so at what price ?

IP Logged
kingquad
Sponsoring Member

I Love Utah!

Reply #8 - 07/01/09 at 08:08:54

I replaced my fuel pump at a dealer-contacts bad- they said they needed to replace the whole enchilada (fuel pump). about $500 w/ labor.  I went out riding w/ about 300 miles and the FUEL GAUGE started acting up- replaced THAT for $308.  Is there a recall on an electronic component?  I have not been notified. (2007 700 KQ). Oh after the first year I had to replace my Batty-  The quad was left outside, though, and it was a cold winter.

IP Logged
ATVUtah
Administrator

ATVUtah Webmaster

Reply #9 - 07/01/09 at 08:39:18

Quote from kingquad on 07/01/09 at 08:08:54:
I replaced my fuel pump at a dealer-contacts bad- they said they needed to replace the whole enchilada (fuel pump). about $500 w/ labor.  I went out riding w/ about 300 miles and the FUEL GAUGE started acting up- replaced THAT for $308.  Is there a recall on an electronic component?  I have not been notified. (2007 700 KQ). Oh after the first year I had to replace my Batty-  The quad was left outside, though, and it was a cold winter.

I have not heard of any recalls but the battery going bad over the winter is very common on King Quads. The engine computer still draws a small amount of current even when the key is off. Enough that if you don't put a battery tender on them the battery will go dead in a couple months. Add that to the cold of winter and you have the perfect battery killer. But I also think the KQ charging system has an issue because even though I've had mine on battery tenders and tried my best to keep them maintained I still have replaced the battery about every 18 months or less on mine.  

The last time I bought one (3 batteries ago) I got smart and I paid an extra $20 for a life time warranty. Since then each replacment only cost me the $20 for the warranty on the replacment Smiley

Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
The ATVUtah.com Forums Team.
Buy my book my poor Quad needs gas money
WWW   IP Logged
Midnight Rider
God Member
Sponsoring Member

Ride Hard or Stay
Home

Reply #10 - 07/01/09 at 10:42:52

Gary,
Do you think that a weak battery would cause the quad to turn over but not draw enough juice to get the fuel pump going ?

IP Logged
Midnight Rider
God Member
Sponsoring Member

Ride Hard or Stay
Home

Reply #11 - 07/12/09 at 08:02:25

Well I took the King Quad in the shop yesterday and received the worst possile news. Dirt and sand got in the cylinder and scored the walls of the cylinder causing no compression at all which is why it wouldn't start. The damage is $2700.00 to replace everything but their trying to reduce the cost by saving the cam and piston if possble. This was  all caused by those cheap paper air filters. I didn't switch over to the Uni until it was too late. To make matters worse I have a vacation scheduled in 2 weeks in Marysvale and they are estimating 2 weeks to fix it. Looks like I need to borrow one my friends quads. As the old saying goes "Pay me now or pay me alot later"

IP Logged
quadforce
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member
Big Ride 7
PLEAA
Big Ride

I love ATVs!

Reply #12 - 07/12/09 at 15:45:23

That's terrible . I'm not sure what Suzuki is thinking with those paper filters but you're not the first one I know of that has had problems caused by them .  

We bought my wifes 500 KQ a few weeks ago  and I told the salesman  that part of the deal was to change the filter out . He told me that they don't let one out of the store with a stock filter . Even though it's Suzukis fault I'm sure that the dealers get alot of complaints about them .

Big Ride 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
Yeah , I kinda like to ride .

Public Lands Equal Access Alliance
Dedicated to Responsible Outdoor Recreation and the Preservation and Expansion of Trail Access
  IP Logged
kingquad
Sponsoring Member

I Love Utah!

Reply #13 - 07/12/09 at 22:29:09

I bought my two quads 2 years ago- a KING 700 and and eiger-400.  the cheaper eiger came with the foam filter-standard, luckily the dealership-after a few months- recommened I change the KING over- which I did.  A good choice.  I have had no problem.  I would think that ALL quads- regardless of make- install the foam/oil filter as we all know what the term Utah Powder REALLY means, as well as the rest of the West.

IP Logged
DirtQuad
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

Always time to ride.

Reply #14 - 07/15/09 at 14:12:51

I took my 2006 KQ 700 into Layton cycle about 3 weeks ago to have them put a new clutch kit in, and while there I told them I was having problems keeping a battery charged.  They asked if I had brought it in earlier for the "recall".   I had no idea of a recall, but they replaced a component under the seat and said that should fix the problem.  I haven't been able to ride it enough to find if it did.  

I start riding quads again, July 18th though!!!!!!!!  So excited!!!

RedUnit

06 King Quad 700
04 Chev Duramax Diesel Club
Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic
  IP Logged
mcgeed
Post Ho
Big Ride 7

I love ATVs!

Reply #15 - 07/15/09 at 14:24:42

Hey RU....

Better get yourself registered for the Big Ride 4.  Just a month from tomorrow!!

Doug

--
Life should not be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely in
an attractive and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used
up, totally worn out, and screaming
"Woo Hoo -- What A Ride!"
--
E-mail: mcgeed2001@gmail.com
WWW   IP Logged
HONDATV
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

Red Hondas only -
Grey Can Am are OK
also

Reply #16 - 07/15/09 at 14:52:35

RU, glade to see that you are still out there Wink

Welcome back Grin

Too much of a good thing is wonderful
  IP Logged
DirtQuad
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

Always time to ride.

Reply #17 - 07/16/09 at 14:20:57

Thanks a bunch Doug and JayVar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I sure am looking forward to rubbing shoulders with you folks on some trails again.

Hope all is well with you and families.

Bob

06 King Quad 700
  IP Logged
mcgeed
Post Ho
Big Ride 7

I love ATVs!

Reply #18 - 07/16/09 at 14:26:54

It's not too late to get a hotel and come along on the Big Ride.

Send a note to Gary and he'll get you access to the Big Ride forum.  We got some good plans for this year.

Gonna be fun!!

Are we ready to launch yet?

Doug

--
Life should not be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely in
an attractive and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used
up, totally worn out, and screaming
"Woo Hoo -- What A Ride!"
--
E-mail: mcgeed2001@gmail.com
WWW   IP Logged
Dick C
Former Member

I love ATVs!

Reply #19 - 07/16/09 at 14:30:10

Quote from RedUnit on 07/16/09 at 14:20:57:

I sure am looking forward to rubbing shoulders with you folks on some trails again.

Bob

Come on down and we'll go out and Boogie with you.  

'07 & '10 Outlander 650XT's
  IP Logged
DirtQuad
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

Always time to ride.

Reply #20 - 07/16/09 at 14:30:14

Oh boy, Doug.  There's nothing better I'd like to do.  Unfortunately, I'm about out of vacation days thanks to the surgery and recovery days I took.  No such thing as sick days in this company.  

I know you're all going to have a heck of a time on the ride this year.  My thoughts will be with you all, and please ride safe and enjoy.

Bob

06 King Quad 700
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print