Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
12/13/18 at 00:29:31

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Powering HC-96 from ATV Battery (Read 24384 times)
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Powering HC-96 from ATV Battery
02/24/07 at 20:40:18

While reading up on aerial video thanks to Pa Pa Jack, I stumbled across some info that may be useful for anyone wanting to power their HC-96 from their ATV's battery. So here goes, just in case someone besides me wants to do that.

One option is to get Sony's DCCL50B DC Adapter. Here it is at Amazon.com:

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

You can plug it into your cigarette lighter jack, plug the other end into your HC-96, and you are done. It will set you back about $50. Or do like me and whack off the cigarette lighter plug and install Anderson PowerPole connectors instead.

But, the Sony unit is a bit too bulky for my liking. If you're an electro-geek like me, there is another way that may be better. Here it is:

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

That's an adjustable DC-DC converter capable of 10W output. Since the HC-96 will consume less than 4W, it should work well.

The HC-96 wants 8.4V in, and your ATV battery is 12V (higher when the ATV is running thanks to the alternator). So, you'd just need to wire this in and adjust the potentiometer for 8.4V at the HC-96. Do that by connecting a volt meter in parallel, with the HC-96 switched off, and set the voltage to 8.4V. Then turn on the HC-96 and tweak the setting back to 8.4V (if necessary).

Here is the wiring diagram:

That diagram shows a fixed 5V regulator instead of the DE-SWADJ variable regulator, but the circuit would be the same. Ignore the "5V" shown going to the camera in the diagram, you want 8.4V for the HC-96.

The DE-SWADJ is a switching regulator, so it is a lot more efficient than a classic voltage regulator that essentially turns the extra voltage into heat. But I imagine this regulator will still generate a bit of heat, so it should be bolted to a piece of metal (or your ATV frame) as a heat sink. I'll probably get a piece of aluminum that is the same size as the bottom of my fender bag (where my HC-96 lives) and bolt it to that. Heck, I'll probably bolt on two so that I can power two cameras at the same time.  Roll Eyes

What I haven't found (yet) is a source for the Sony DC power connectors. I'm still looking, but if anyone knows of a source, I sure would like to know about it. That would eliminate the need for me to perform "surgery" on the HC-96 so as to install a connector that I have a mate for.

P.S. -  Here are two sources for Anderson PowerPole connectors. These are much less bulky than the cigarette lighter plugs you see on most 12V gear, and all kinds of accessories are available for them (like splitters, so you can run multiple cameras, radios, etc. from a single connection to your ATV battery):

IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Re: Powering HC-96 from ATV Battery
Reply #1 - 02/24/07 at 21:31:06

Grizzlyguy
Thanks for the info.
I think I need a total re-wire job. help me

We went out today and I find more and more that there has to be a better way to deal with the wiring. I think your info may help.
It is nice that the larger sony battery lasts a LONG time.
I think I am going to make a case/box with carved foam rubber for all the gear to go into with the plugs coming out so I dont have to get to the camera until the tape runs out.
Also It would be nice if the helmetcam had a longer lead with the video /power jack separate from the audio so you could unplug easier instead of tring to do it next to your head or removing your helmet. Would be nice if you could clip the connector to your shirt or lapel. Then mount the mic in a different place.
must be a way to do that so there is a quick dissconnect for the video /power only portion that would be easier.

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #2 - 02/24/07 at 21:56:51

O.K. you guys are they techno geeks. I am just a wrench turner. I have been looking at the airial photo sites and find it confusing to me. BUT, why can't you build a camera setup on your helmet that transmits to your recorder in your saddle bags. Most of us dub music over the sound anyhow, so why would you normally even worry about a mike. The one site GG mentioned in another post about tiny cameras seems to have the idea, we just need to modify it.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #3 - 02/25/07 at 09:15:11

RedGrizz wrote on 02/24/07 at 21:31:06:
I think I am going to make a case/box with carved foam rubber for all the gear to go into with the plugs coming out so I dont have to get to the camera until the tape runs out.

Son of a gun, thats what Ive been thinking of doing as well! Smiley I figured I would use a Pelican case and cut the foam out myself, with room and cut-outs for 2 HC-96s. By mounting a couple of those DE-SWADJ variable regulators inside the case, I could then feed 12V in and power both cameras. Here is a source for the cases:

Im just not sure what is going to happen as far as heat goes. The Pelican cases are waterproof and airtight. Take two devices generating about 6W of heat total, put them in the box, and it may get a little hot inside. Maybe vent holes would be needed, or even a little 12V fan for when you are using it stationary. The heat problem could get worse if the case is black and it is sitting on your rack in the sun. Heat hasnt been a problem with my saddle bag since it isnt airtight and gets plenty of ventilation whether I want it to or not.

RedGrizz wrote on 02/24/07 at 21:31:06:
Also It would be nice if the helmetcam had a longer lead with  the video /power jack separate from the audio so you could unplug easier instead of tring to do it next to your head or removing your helmet. Would be nice if you could clip the connector to your shirt or lapel. Then mount the mic in a different place.

The older helmetcamera.com rigs had the mic separate, instead of built-in to the helmet cam cable. Was a bit more of a hassle in terms of cables, but at least you could place the mic anywhere you wanted to.

I now use both mics: the one built-in to the new helmet cam's cable, and the old separate mic with the alligator clip on it (can clip to my shirt sleeve or wherever). One mic feeds left channel and the other goes to right channel. So at editing time, you can choose whichever one is best (or mix them). Our audio expert Vulcan was investigating external mics, so when he decides on what one is best, I want to buy whatever he chooses to replace the old mic.

Another option would be to use a wireless mic with the mic receiver mounted inside the pelican case. That would be one less wire.

Pa Pa Jack wrote on 02/24/07 at 21:56:51:
why can't you build a camera setup on your helmet that transmits to your recorder in your saddle bags. Most of us dub music over the sound anyhow, so why would you normally even worry about a mike. The one site GG mentioned in another post about tiny cameras seems to have the idea, we just need to modify it.

Heee-haw, great minds think alike round 2! Grin

Ive been thinking of doing that as well, at least for camera #2 that is going to sit on a mount out on my rack. One of those pre-packaged aerial video transmitter/receiver sets would work fine, like this one:

May need to water-proof or dust-proof it just a bit, dunno. For the helmet cam itself, might be nice to just mount one of these transmitters right into your helmet, then all youd need is a 12V power source (for the helmet cam) and a 5V regulator for the transmitter itself, and youd be all set:

So at most youd have a single wire (actually a pair) for 12V into your helmet, or you could just use a gel cell and skip the wires. Now youd be able to hop off the quad and keep filming.

For the 5V regulator, could use that same adjustable one that is in my original post, or just use one of these fixed regulators:

Or if you didn't mind a bit of heat, a classic 7805 regulator (probably a buck or less at Radio Shack) would work as well.

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #4 - 02/25/07 at 10:43:05

Would this work?

A small battery pack velcroed to the back of the helmet. The new KX-151 camera is 480 lines. 3.6mm lense is standard. Install the regulator. The only issue I see is turning it on and off without taking your helmet off. The whole thing can't weigh but 1/2 pound.

GG, why do you get me into this kind of stuff. I can't even sleep without thinking about new innovations and tricks to try to pull off. If you keep this up, I'm moving in with you. I'll think up this goofy stuff and you make it work. Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing

P.S. My wife is ready to throw me out. She really thinks I've lost what few marbles I had left. Roll Eyes

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #5 - 02/25/07 at 13:24:17

Im in informatoin overload now.
Im thinking of this case Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
to put in the future, 2 HC-96 s One for front camera and one for rear camera and my tvr-17 as a remote camera.
Then something like this Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
mounted to switch the HC-96s maybe through the side. Or just mount some jacks through the side for each unit. When it rains I shut down anyway so shouldnt be a problem with the jacks being water proof.
I have a power runner battery pack to put in the case and will run 2 helmetcams for hours Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

Or if I wire up your idea GG through the quad I could run everything off the power port ?
If I get the extension cable for the Lanc I could mount that plug through the case to plug in camera #1 and #2
What do you Guys think?????? GG? PaPaJack ???
Thanks

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #6 - 02/25/07 at 13:42:19

You are thinking along the same lines as I am. The switcher looks good except the shipping is more than the cost and they charge $10 for shipping each if you want two. I want three cameras. I shafted myself by buying two trv67's on ebay believing they had a/v i/o, they don't. Now I may HAVE to buy two more HC-96's. I want one camera forward, one backward and one moveable through all the mounts that I bought. I want to put them all in one box and put waterproof connections through the box. The cameras are waterprooof to a pretty good point so why not shoot in the rain.

My wife wishes you boys  would quit encouraging my insanity. She actually would rather have new kitchen cabinets. THE NERVE.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #7 - 02/25/07 at 13:46:42

Does anyone have any experience with this type of camera? I really like this idea because it would work wonders on my bow during hunting season.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #8 - 02/25/07 at 13:53:38

PaPa
My biggest problem in the rain is drops of water on the lense of the camera.  I have some really good video from yesterday but 1/2 has a blob on it from a raindrop I missed. Sad
Im not sure about that camera at 380 lines of resolution sounds a bit low. Maybe GG, Gary or redman would know for sure.

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #9 - 02/25/07 at 13:59:46

They have upgraded the cameras to a KX-151 which has 480 lines. If the cost os the same, awaiting a response, I'mma gonna try one. The raindrops are a problem, but I think that tape is relatively cheap and you just may come out with one great shot that makes it all worth while.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #10 - 02/25/07 at 14:04:53

Will that setup work transmit through the pellican case PaPa?
Would need to keep the camera in a dust proof place. If it would transmit through the case and not loose quality that would be way cool.
Would need a bigger pellican case too.
How much do you figure the whole setup will cost ?

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #11 - 02/25/07 at 14:08:52

They have what they call the AVS package. It is listed at about 260, It includes the camera, transmitter and reciever. Dont think that includes the battery pack. I think 480 lines would be pretty good. and I don't think weatherproofing it would be a major hurdle.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #12 - 02/25/07 at 16:53:58

Pa Pa Jack wrote on 02/25/07 at 10:43:05:
P.S. My wife is ready to throw me out. She really thinks I've lost what few marbles I had left. Roll Eyes

My wife would have thrown me out already, except that we are in the middle of a major winter storm and just getting the door open is a real challenge.  Grin I blew 3 feet of snow off the deck yesterday, 3 more feet this morning, and there is already 2 more feet on the deck. So while I'm temporarily warm/dry in between snow blower sessions...

RG, I don't think you'll need a switch if you have 2 HC-96's in that case. They would record simultaneously from 2 different helmet cams, so no need for a switch. You could either use separate LANC controllers for each, or just have a single LANC controller that is split off and fed into each camera.

To really do 2-source video right, I think you need two cameras and a switch won't be good enough. For example, how will you know which camera has the best shot as you ride around? You really won't, so best to come home and cut between them during editing. That way you don't have to guess as to when/where to throw the switch as you ride.

When this storm stops and I can get out on the slopes for skiing, I'm going to bring two cameras (my HC-96 and the wife's Panasonic) in a backpack and do simultaneous video from my helmet cam and the new boot cam. If this works out at all, I'll edit up some video and we can hopefully see what it is like to have 2 cameras going at the same time.

The 1520 Pelican case would probably be plenty big enough for 2 HC-96's and the power supply. Could probably even go smaller, I haven't measured this stuff out yet.

I'm thinking of running 1 12V line from the ATV battery to the case to power everything. But if you wanted to mount a battery inside as well, that would work too. That 2300 mAh battery from SkullCamz is one possibility, but you could go with a sealed lead acid (gel cell) battery for even more capacity. I have one of these for my portable ham radio station:

And about 1/3 of that pack is taken up by a 8 Ah (8000 mAH) battery. The battery itself is probably on this page:

But any sealed lead acid battery of convenient size would work. Like any of these:

Per the HC-96 manual, it will consume 3W while recording without the LCD screen on. At 12V, that would be 250 mA. The switching voltage regulators for converting 12V to 8.4 V are only about 80% efficient, so figure 315 mA coming from the 12V battery. That means that a 2400 mAh battery would power an HC-96 for about 7 1/2 hours. I should go measure the current draw for the helmet cam, then can factor that in as well. But it seems (roughly) that a 7 AHr sealed lead acid battery could run 2 HC-96's and 2 helmet cams for an entire day.

Pa Pa Jack, 'd think that 380 lines would be too little, but these guys are also selling the 480 line cameras (see KX-141):

But what I think would be even better is to take a helmet cam just like we already have (560 or 580 line) and feed it into the 2.4 GHz transmitter. Video is video, that would work fine as far as the radio part goes, and you'd still have full resolution.

The 50 mW transmitter is small and would probably be fine for the helmet transmitter. The radio waves should penetrate right through the plastic of a Pelican case to get to the receiver, but you could always mount the antenna on the outside if you really wanted to. The receiver draws another 350 mA from the 12V source, so if using a lead acid battery, would have to  factor that into the capacity planning as well.

So in other words, the "Camera" in this diagram would be your current helmet cam (but would be powered from 12V instead of 5V):

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #13 - 02/25/07 at 17:18:17

The spec sheet on the Skullcamz 580 line state that it draws 130mA. If it operates on 12v, wouldn't your schematic be incorrect. If the transmitter draws 5v you would need two regulators. Isn't that correct?

Whew!!!!! For a minute I thought I understood what I was saying. Rolling on floor laughing

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #14 - 02/25/07 at 18:31:46

Pa Pa Jack wrote on 02/25/07 at 17:18:17:
The spec sheet on the Skullcamz 580 line state that it draws 130mA. If it operates on 12v, wouldn't your schematic be incorrect. If the transmitter draws 5v you would need two regulators. Isn't that correct?

You are correct Pa Pa Jack!  Smiley

See my last sentence before that diagram I stole from those other guys' web site: "So in other words, the "Camera" in this diagram would be your current helmet cam (but would be powered from 12V instead of 5V)"

You would definitely want to run 12V into the helmet cam (either the Skullcamz one or the helmetcamera.com one we are using now).  I've been feeding mine straight from the ATV battery, no regulator required. It doesn't seem to mind the 13.6-ish volts that you might get while the engine is running and alternator is feeding in that higher voltage so as to charge the battery. So the only thing you'd need the regulator for is to get 5V for the transmitter.

Boy, I'm really-REALLY liking your idea for a wireless helmet cam. The 50mW transmitter is only 17mm x 17mm x 6mm. So you could probably tuck it and the 5V regulator inside your helmet, between the foam and the plastic shell. The 5V regulator could tuck in there as well.

The helmet cam could plug right into a short cable (few inches long) from the transmitter with a mating connector. Then you'd have some speaker wire or similar coming off the transmitter and hanging down the back of your neck for your 12V. You could plug that into a small gel cell in your fanny pack, clipped on your belt, mounted right on the back of the helmet, or whatever.

Instead of the little pointy antenna, you could replace it with a patch antenna stuck onto your helmet, or even a little wire dipole taped to your helmet. That should be plenty good to get a signal to the receiver inside the pellican case sitting on your rack just a few feet away.

That may be my new spring project, even before I play with your video-from-RC-airplane idea.  Keep thinking 'em up, Pa Pa Jack. We'll make a geek out of you yet! Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #15 - 02/26/07 at 06:45:20

Check these out and let me know if they sound good.

Be sure to check the cameras they offer. One is a 520 line.

RE-500: 5v Ultralight Aerial Video System (500mw)      

We are happy to introduce our newest addition to the family, the 500wm ultralight aerial video system. If your looking for a system that is high on power and low on weight this is the perfect system. It showcases our new 500mw transmitter witch has the exact same form factor as our 200mw transmitter, yet has over twice the power. We also include a 600mAh, 7.4v Li-Poly battery, our new and very popular KX-181 camera, plus our proprietary wire harness and camera mount. You'll also include all the cables you will need to charge and view your new system.

Our unique "plug & play" systems gives you the convenience of using your system minutes after opening the box. You won't need to go through the frustrating process of engineering your own system and then doing the work to assemble it. You are unfortunately likely experience this in most other brands.

Our exclusive articulated camera mount makes it a snap to attach the camera to almost any surface on the aircraft, even without drilling holes. The mount allows you to position the camera at any angle in a 360 degree view and lock it into place. And like all of our RC-EYE systems the RC-EYE Elite can be installed in under 10 minutes!

To help prevent video drop outs at distance or while maneuvering, we recommend using our high-gain patch antenna. For the ultimate setup and picture quality, use our Patent Pending A/V Diversity Receiver in conjunction with a set of high-gain patch antennas.

Compare Systems

$325.00

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #16 - 02/26/07 at 08:31:29

PaPa
Now that looks better.
They make the transmitter,reciever and the camera in 12 volt.
That should mean one simple 12V wire to your head if you can split it into 2 for the transmitter and camera. Thats what I am after. It would be easy to just have a 12v connector about a foot or two, or to the pellican box from the helmet,  Or better yet I could put the power runner or other battery pack in my pocket or fanny pack and be totally unhooked from the quad. [That way when I fall off I wont damage the wiring.]  Shocked Then power everything including the HC96s in the pellican box off the quad. I could eliminate the video switching box (like GG said)and just have 2 lanc buttons for front and rear. Just put the jacks through the case for the rear camera then hard wire it to the back rack or ram mount for the second rear faciing helmetcam.
Do you guys think that would work ? Smiley
Oh yea and a connector off the box for the 1'' monitor. I have really liked having that.

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #17 - 02/26/07 at 08:51:53

Excellent idea. I  meant the falling off the bike part. Just make sure you get it on tape. Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing

The other part sounds good too.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #18 - 02/26/07 at 09:04:44

I just ordered the Rx/Tx packae they have on clearance. Now I need GG to explain to me how to modify the Skullcam so I can shorten the lead and install a small battery pack either on the helmet, preferred, or in a small pack. The entire system is 12v. Oops, I forgot to order their on/off remote switch. Sad for 100 bucks, it is worth the test.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #19 - 02/26/07 at 09:36:25

You da man, Pa Pa Jack, another great source of equipment!

Dunno, but I'm thinking you might be disappointed with any of these aircraft cameras because they don't have as many lines as the bullet-style helmet cams. But I sure do like the radios.

RG, I think you have defined the ultimate recorder box. My only mods to your box would be:

1) I'd have a switch to allow the mini monitor to be switched to either of the two cameras. A simple SPDT switch (toggle or slide) mounted into the case itself would probably be fine (you'd reach back and switch it as needed to check your two shots). Or if you wanted the switch to be remote like your LANC (on your handlebars), use a SPST switch and have it control a small SPDT relay inside the case, which in turn switches the monitor video.

2) Instead of 2 LANC remotes, I think I'd just run 1 to the box and have it split to the two HC-96's inside the box. You'd always be starting/stopping both cameras at the same time that way, would make tape management a lot easier, and editing as well. Or you could wire another switch to allow use of either 1 LANC for both cameras, or two different LANC remotes for independent control.

For the wireless helmet cam, I'm envisioning a plastic or metal box that is 1"H x 2.5"W x 1" deep. This would velcro to the rear of your helmet, down by the base. Inside the box would be a 50mW or 200 mW transmitter from one of Pa Pa Jack's sources with the antenna sticking out a hole drilled in the box. The box would also contain a 5V regulator for powering the trasmitter from 12V (unless you chose one of the larger 12V transmitters).

Hanging out of the box would be two short pigtails, maybe 6" long:

1) A pigtail with a mating connector for the helmet cam. I measured the cable coming out of the helmetcamera.com helmet cam, and it is only 8" long. If you wanted to turn it backwards on your head and still have the transmitter box on the rear of your helmet, you'd need a few more inches of cable, hence the 6" or so pigtail.

2) A pigtail using speaker wire (or similar zip cable) for 12V input, with a PowerPole connector on the end. When ready to ride, you'd connect this to the longer cable from your 12V power source, with the wire going down the back of your neck.

Inside the box and off to one side would be a stereo 1/8" phono jack for bringing in audio from an external mic, with the jack facing downward. You'd need a stereo jack because you'd need 3 conductors going to the mic:

a) Audio
b) 12V (or 5V depending on mic)
c) Ground

No matter what mic you went with, you'd whack off their connector and solder on a 1/8" stereo plug to match your jack. You could clip the mic on your shirt, plug it into the box at the back of your helmet, and you are now virtually wire-free (other than the 12V speaker cable going to your 12V source).

Back in the recorder box is the receiver, maybe even with a patch antenna stuck onto the outside of the box (or just use the standard antenna connected to the receiver inside the box).

Me thinks I may need to order some parts and build a prototype of that helmet cam transmitter box... Wink

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #20 - 02/26/07 at 09:55:04

GG, what is the smallest battery pack that would run this setup. I am thinking 12v all the way. Could I set one up so that it would give me 4 hours of run time? That way, I could put together 2 in order to have a spare. do you do soldering on the side? Grin the last time I tried to solder something this small I started a small 3 alarm fire and ended up with third degree burns over my entire body resulting in massive deformatiions to delicate extremities. Shocked

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #21 - 02/26/07 at 10:15:23

Sorry to but in......but the power runner NMH is supposed to run the helmet cam for 17 hours. I had it hooked to my helmet cam all day saturday and the led's we still showing a full charge at the end of the day and I never unplugged it. It also comes with a 12v car adapter to run or recharge it. It would also work for the 5v stuff cause its adjustible.
Its small and light weight. Im going with that and putting it in my pocket or ????? wherever.
GG, I wonder what the power usage on the transmitter is in comparison to the helmetcam???
The battery pack should run both all day I would think??
PaPa said the cameras are at 480 ? res now. I wonder how that would compare with the bullets.

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #22 - 02/26/07 at 10:28:41

RG, I am going to go with the skullcams I already have. Which battery packs are you using? Where did you get them. I figure if I run all 12v it will simplify life. I could use some simpification at the moment. Maple syrup is on the way.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #23 - 02/26/07 at 10:38:31

PaPa
Im using this one. Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

Its adjustable too Wink
I need to cut he voltage to the HC96s GG showed us how to do that earlier.
How are you going to wire the skullcam to the transmitter???

Huckleberry will go out tommorrow. Cheesy

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #24 - 02/26/07 at 11:37:12

OK, now that I am totally confused and disoriented, this is what I got coming.

PowerRunner
200mw transmitter and receiver
Adjustable regulators
200mg Prozac
Huckleberry jam

I have

HC-96
580 line Skullcamz
LANC

I will

Wire the receiver and 96 to the bike
mount everything else to the helmet.

Sound Good?

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #25 - 02/26/07 at 12:52:50

Pa Pa Jack wrote on 02/26/07 at 11:37:12:
OK, now that I am totally confused and disoriented, this is what I got coming.

PowerRunner
200mw transmitter and receiver
Adjustable regulators
200mg Prozac
Huckleberry jam

I have

HC-96
580 line Skullcamz
LANC

I will

Wire the receiver and 96 to the bike
mount everything else to the helmet.

Sound Good?

Sounds good, Pa Pa Jack. Keep that Prozac handy, you might just need it!  Grin

I made some measurements of current draw for the helmetcamera.com camera. Here is a picture of my test setup:

I measured 150mA of current from my battery. That includes the helmet cam itself and its built-in mic. My multimeter is setup to read the series current (.15A = 150 mA).

This picture shows what happens when I connect the second external mic at the same time:

The current draw increases to 160 mA, which means the little external mic in the picture is drawing about 10 mA.

That other meter you see behind the helmet cam is neat, it measures the total current drawn from a battery over time and can tell you how much capacity has been used. It also measures current and voltage. It wires in series with the battery, and has powerpole connectors on the input and output pigtails. In the second picture, I made one of the powerpole connections visible so you can see what they look like (red/black stuff to the left of the helmet cam and small meter).

Per that meter, my 12V 2200 mAh battery in the picture (what I use for skiing because it fits well in my fanny pack) is 13.6V when open circuit, and drops to 13V under load when I connect the helmet cam.

So... what does this all mean in terms of how long you can run stuff from  a battery? Well, it is an easy calculation. You simply total up all the current that will be drawn from that battery (camera + mic + transmitter + whatever). So in my case, that total was 160 mA (camera + mic + external mic). You divide that into the mAh number for the battery. My battery in the pictures is a 2200 mAh battery. That means that I can power that stuff for:

2200 mAh / 160 mA/h = 13.75 hours

So Pa Pa Jack, that 200 mW transmitter of yours is supposed to draw 170 mA per its spec sheet. If you figure that your helmet cam draws about what mine does (150 mA), that would be 320 mA. If your battery is 2200 mAh like mine, your setup would then run for 2200/320 = 6.9 hours.

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #26 - 02/26/07 at 13:10:10

Pa Pa Jack wrote on 02/26/07 at 09:55:04:
GG, what is the smallest battery pack that would run this setup. I am thinking 12v all the way. Could I set one up so that it would give me 4 hours of run time?

Yes. See my post prior to this one, I am estimating that your setup will consume 320 mA. So if you want the battery to last for 4 hours, you would need one with a capacity of 320mA x 4hr = 1280 mAh (or 1.28 Ah).

Pa Pa Jack wrote on 02/26/07 at 09:55:04:
That way, I could put together 2 in order to have a spare. do you do soldering on the side? Grin the last time I tried to solder something this small I started a small 3 alarm fire and ended up with third degree burns over my entire body resulting in massive deformatiions to delicate extremities. Shocked

Hah! Sounds like me with acetylene.  Rolling on floor laughing

Yes, I've done quite a bit of soldering in my day (being a geek and all). It isn't as bad as it looks. Tips:

1) Don't use a big, high-wattage soldering gun for soldering the little wires on your transmitter, camera, etc. You might fry things. A little pencil iron like you can get at Radio Shack will work fine. I actually have an adjustable heat one, but you won't need that.

2) Use rosin core solder.

3) Keep your tip clean and tinned. Have a wet sponge nearby. To clean tip, feed a bunch of solder over it, shake off the excess, and wipe across sponge. Now you can add just a bit more to tin it.

4) If joining wires, get yourself some small heat shrink tubing and put a length over one wire or the other BEFORE you connect or solder them. Then after your connection is done and a bit cool, you slide the heat shrink tubing over the connection, and heat with a bic lighter (or heat gun if you have one). That makes for a neat/clean/protected connection.

5) Connect wires mechanically first (twist them together or whatever). Best way to twist is to point the bare ends of each wire at the other one, so that the bare parts overlap and are parallel, and your wires are extending out in a straight line. No part of either wire is bent at this point. Then twist one into the other so that you still have a straight line when finished. From a mechanical perspective, best if you fold back the bare part of each wire in half, and doubled-back on itself to make a "hook". Then hook the two together, and twist each wire back onto itself. If you were to pull on this, it would be mechanically strong, even without solder. That's what you want.

Don't do the quick/easy thing of paralling the wires and twisting them that way (the twist would be at right angles to the wires in this bad case).

Then apply heat to the wire junction via the hot/tinned soldering iron. Wait a moment for the junction to heat up, then feed a bit of solder onto the wires (not the iron). If you did it right, it will flow right in and the insulation on the wires won't recede too far. When it cools, slide your heat shrink tubing over the junction, shrink it, and you're all set.

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #27 - 02/26/07 at 15:00:52

OK, a wierd question. If I install the adjustable regulators properly and get them set right, would that affect the draw down on the battery? It is not critical, I'm just curious. The connector on the Skullcam pigtail looks like a standard S-video connector. Is it? Can I make, or buy a short extension to give me room to loop into a small container?   Radio Shack should have small project boxes. Would be nice to have one of plastic, but glue won't hold to many thermoplastics. I hope all the connectors I might need will be readily available. The more I read these specs on the different items, the more I came to realize they are all metric and may not be easily adaptable to the things in my junk drawer. 200mg might not be strong enough. Rolling on floor laughing

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #28 - 02/26/07 at 15:14:20

Pa Pa Jack,

The fixed 5V regulator would have been fine for that transmitter, but since you have the variable one, then do this:

1) With the regulator's input connected to 12V, and nothing connected to the output except for a voltmeter, adjust it to 5V.

2) Connect your load (the transmitter) to the output of the regulator, turn it on if it has a switch.

3) Now with it actually sucking juice, put your voltmeter back across the output terminals of the regulator and re-tweak it back to 5V (if necessary).

Now that you have the correct voltage set under load, it will now be drawing the right amount of current from the battery. If you set the voltage higher, it might draw more current and you might get a few more mW out of that transmitter, but I'd just set it to 5V and leave it there. 200 mW is more than enough power. 50 mW would have been plenty as well.

As to the connector on the Skullcam, I don't know what kind of connector it is because I have the helmetcamera.com camera. But if you think it is S-Video, then get yourself a cheap S-Video cable and see if they mate. If they do, then you can whack that cable about 6" from the connector, thread it into your box, and solder the wires directly to the transmitter (or its wires).

If that 200mg dose of Prozac isn't enough, then try swallowing the pill with Tequila instead of water.  Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #29 - 02/26/07 at 15:25:21

I ordered a 12v rx/tx system from this link.                                                           Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

They have the 200mw unit on clearance for 100.00. That is cheaper than anything else I could find.

All those wires, tiny tiny wires, scare me. I am used to working with things I can wrap my hands around. (Keep it clean) I guess I will have to wait till everything comes in to realize how much I have bitten off.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
quadtrek
Newbies

Utah, here we
come!!!

Quebec, Canada
Reply #30 - 02/26/07 at 17:20:21

WoW!

I thought we were talking about making videos...Sounds more like an electronic classroom now...

GrizzlyGuy, thanks for taking time to measure the current draw from that cam and for posting it on here!

Now, how big/small and heavy is that battery? (Please don't walk all the way to the grocery store to have the butcher weight it, just a rough idea would do). Is the battery you used for your test the same you were telling me about, a 2Ahr gel cell?

Would I be better off using the Power runner RedGriz is using?

How much do those gel cell cost?

quadtrek.net A ten month ATV adventure
A couple of Sportsman 800 X2s
Custom built trailer-tent
Tons O goodies added
WWW   IP Logged
quadtrek
Newbies

Utah, here we
come!!!

Quebec, Canada
Reply #31 - 02/26/07 at 19:34:56

GrizzlyGuy said:

What I haven't found (yet) is a source for the Sony DC power connectors. I'm still looking, but if anyone knows of a source, I sure would like to know about it. That would eliminate the need for me to perform "surgery" on the HC-96 so as to install a connector that I have a mate for.

GG: Can I make a stupid suggestion?

You say you have an older Sony that works on 8,4V also...Providing it uses the same connector as the HC 96, you could cut the connector off of it's regulator (leaving maybe a foot of wire with it), then you could install Anderson PowerPole connectors to the "bare end" of the wires and to the remaining wires on the regulator.

You would then have a small harness/adaptor that you could use between the camcorder and whatever power source you choose, be it the ATV battery, the original regulator or a gel cell or whatever...

Just thinking...

Hey PaPaJack, hand me some of that Prozac, my wife wants a new kitchen also...

Tons O goodies added
WWW   IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #32 - 02/26/07 at 20:00:58

quadtrek wrote on 02/26/07 at 17:20:21:
Now, how big/small and heavy is that battery? (Please don't walk all the way to the grocery store to have the butcher weight it, just a rough idea would do). Is the battery you used for your test the same you were telling me about, a 2Ahr gel cell?

Would I be better off using the Power runner RedGriz is using?

How much do those gel cell cost?

No worries, quadtrek. With this winter storm we're in the middle of, I couldn't get to the grocery store if I wanted to. Unless I had a snow cat.  Grin

But Im a geek, remember? So I didnt even have to leave the La-Z-Boy to answer that one. I just scrolled up to the picture I took, noticed it says UB1222 on the battery, typed that into my Google search box, and Shazam:  Cheesy

The unit that RedGriz is using is cool because it has a built-in variable voltage regulator. You just dial it right up to the voltage you want. And because it is Li-Ion, it may give you more capacity per unit size (i.e. maybe be smaller/lighter). But then again, it is $90 while mine is just over $10. So youd have to decide for yourself.

I only chose that odd long size because it fits well in the bottom of my little fanny pack that I wear skiing. There are all kinds of other sizes with equivalent capacity. Personally, I like everything running off of 12V, and I regulate down to other voltages as needed. So the built-in adjustable regulator in RGs battery doesnt do it for me.

quadtrek wrote on 02/26/07 at 19:34:56:
GG: Can I make a stupid suggestion?

You say you have an older Sony that works on 8,4V also...Providing it uses the same connector as the HC 96, you could cut the connector off of it's regulator (leaving maybe a foot of wire with it), then you could install Anderson PowerPole connectors to the "bare end" of the wires and to the remaining wires on the regulator

First off, there are no stupid suggestions. Gee whiz, look at us, trying to wire model airplane radios into our helmets just so we can be cool and save a wire or two during a video shoot. Now how stupid are we?  Grin

I thought of that too, but unfortunately, the connectors arent the same. So as soon as I find a source for the HC-96 connectors, Ill do just what you said: shove some blue/black powerpoles in line and have one dongle for my old Hi-8 cam, and another dongle for my HC-96. Why let a perfectly good 12V  8.4V converter go to waste, right?

P.S. - The reason for blue/black instead of red/black is so that you can tell at a glance that it isnt 12V. I know, I know, silly, but thats how we ham radio geeks are.  Rolling on floor laughing See here:

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #33 - 02/26/07 at 20:15:21

Pa Pa Jack wrote on 02/26/07 at 15:25:21:
I ordered a 12v rx/tx system from this link.                                                           Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!

They have the 200mw unit on clearance for 100.00. That is cheaper than anything else I could find.

Pa Pa Jack,

Are you sure that 200mW Tx/Rx pair is 12V? I know the receiver is, but they seem to be saying that the transmitter is 5v. See "200mw RX & TX Set (2.4GHz)" on this page:

It says: "Our 200mW transmitter is a perfect match for parkfliers and smaller fuel powered aircraft. It is about half the size and weight of our other transmitters yet delivers an excellent picture. And because it operates on 5v, it has better battery life than similar radios operating on 12v"

No worries if it is 5V, you can buy one of those fancy-pants switching regulators for 15-ish bucks to get 5V from 12V, or just head down to your local Radio Shack and pick up a 7805 for less than a buck. The pin-out, and therefore your wiring, would be exactly the same.

FYI, A 7805 is the older standard 5V regulator. It will work fine, but it might get a bit hot. Instead of fancy-pants switching, it turns the extra 7V into heat. Might be nice for a "helmet heater" on a cold day's ride though, no?  Grin

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #34 - 02/26/07 at 22:04:07

These are on the clearance page.

It states that both work on 12v.

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #35 - 02/27/07 at 07:05:50

Pa Pa Jack wrote on 02/26/07 at 22:04:07:
These are on the clearance page.

It states that both work on 12v.

Well I'll be dipped in dog snot, you're right. Had I just read what you wrote before, I'd have already known that.  Embarrassed So I guess I don't have to ask how you managed to get the Tx/Rx set for only 100 smackers.   Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
quadtrek
Newbies

Utah, here we
come!!!

Quebec, Canada
Reply #36 - 02/27/07 at 07:19:32

GrizzlyGuy wrote on 02/26/07 at 20:00:58:
I thought of that too, but unfortunately, the connectors arent the same. So as soon as I find a source for the HC-96 connectors, Ill do just what you said: shove some blue/black powerpoles in line and have one dongle for my old Hi-8 cam, and another dongle for my HC-96. Why let a perfectly good 12V 8.4V converter go to waste, right??

Well then use the connector from the converter of the HC 96.
When the 96 is on the ATV use the "dongle" to plug it to the ATV battery and when you get back home or at the motel or whatever, bring your dongle with you and re-plug it to the original converter via Anderson Powerpoles connectors.

Of course, that's not gonna help you use your old converter. But hey, if you buy a 2nd HC 96 you could always use it's converters' connector also.

What are the chances of finding a source that will carry the precise connector you need?

Tons O goodies added
WWW   IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #37 - 02/27/07 at 07:53:18

Rats, I guess I missed a fun chat session last night. Apparently all kinds of gadgets and dohickeys were being discussed, and there I was, running the snow blower (again). And now that the sun is up, I get to go run the snow blower (again). But anyhoo...

RedGrizz says via PM that the topic of electrical noise came up. Just in case this wireless video geek bug bites anyone else, here's what I told RG:

----------
FA is correct, ignition noise is always a potential problem with radios. However, it tends to be the biggest problem at low frequencies, like the AM radio band and even up on the CB band at 27 MHz. But these video radios are operating up at 2400 MHz, so highly unlikely.

However, it may be possible for the quad's electrical system to induce noise into the 12V line, especially if you are wired to the ATV battery. That noise could go on into the transmitter and modulate the video signal. You might see lines, bars or jitter if that happened. You would only know for sure by doing a test: send some video motor off, then some more with the motor running, and compare.

But if it did happen, the noise should be easy to eliminate by putting bypass capacitors on the DC lines, or maybe even some RF chokes (coils) in series with the lines. These are well known ham radio techniques, easy to do.
-------------

Just to expound on that a little more, the noise on the 12V (power) leads could even be a problem if you were just running your HC-96 off the ATV battery (no radios involved). A tried and true method of removing lots of that kind of noise is to place an electrolytic capacitor across the power leads, as close to the device (transmitter, camera, recorder, whatever) as is possible. A value of 10 or 22 uF (micro Farads) should do the trick, and pretty much any Radio Shack will carry these. They usually look like little blue or grey cylinders, with the wires sticking down out of the bottom surface.

WARNING: Unlike most capacitors, electrolytic capacitors are *polarized*. That means they have a + and a - side, and you need to wire them correctly. Or at least you do if you don't want to see one explode when you apply power.  Grin

If slapping one of those across the power leads doesn't solve the problem, then it may be time to try ham radio trick #2: the RF choke. This is basically a coil that you would place in series with the positive lead, again as close to the device (transmitter, camera, recorder, whatever) as is possible. Coils are inductors, and inductors like to let DC pass through while blocking AC and RF (radio frequency). The noise is either AC or RF. So in other words, they "choke" that RF noise stuff and don't let it pass, hence the name "RF choke".

Radio Shack may sell these, or they may not. The most effective ones look like a little donut with wire wrapped around the "dough". Technically, that is known as a toroid, but we're all friends here, so we can skip the technical terminology. In general: the bigger the donut and the more wire wraps around the dough, the more "choking" that goes on.

And if the electrolytic capacitor + RF choke doesn't solve it... then you can always go for the big guns: the LC filters. I'd have to go real geek to explain the various permutations of that animal, so just ask me if you get this far and there is still some pesky noise running around and making a mess of your video.  Smiley

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #38 - 02/27/07 at 08:24:52

quadtrek wrote on 02/27/07 at 07:19:32:
Of course, that's not gonna help you use your old converter. But hey, if you buy a 2nd HC 96 you could always use it's converters' connector also.

Right again, quadtrek. But I was hoping to take my old 12V/8.4V supply for the old Hi-8 camera and use it to power a second HC-96, without having to spend another $50 of the wife's money on a second Sony DCCL50B. So if I just had a few of those connectors, I'd be all set.

Of course I don't know why I'm worrying about spending $50 of the wife's money. I still have to spend a lot more of the wife's money for that second HC-96, and rumor has it that the video arms race might be esclating up to 3 HC-96's (ahem, Pa Pa Jack). Add in all the wireless video stuff, and we may be looking at spending as much on these gadgets as we'd spend on a new quad, just to keep up with Pa Pa Jack!  Grin

quadtrek wrote on 02/27/07 at 07:19:32:
What are the chances of finding a source that will carry the precise connector you need?

I have no idea! Smiley

This is usually the part of the discussion when our audio wizard and e-Bay buying expert Vulcan chimes in and says he's located a boat load for 2 cents each. Of course Vulcan may still be busy cleaning up the tornado damage around his neighborhood, or maybe he's riding around and videoing it, so I may have to spend some time on Google myself to see if a source for those pesky connectors can be found. Other than buying Sony assemblies for $50 and whacking off the 2-cent connector, that is.  Smiley

OK, the snow beckons, gotta go don my blizzard gear and fire up the trusty snow blower while I can still get the door open...  

IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #39 - 03/01/07 at 08:01:19

Man my head hurt real bad. I have been quit, reading all this and now I had a brain shut down. This is to much for me you guys are way out their. I just had to let you know poor vulcan can't even find the road now the bus had a few tracks on the trail but I can't even fine the tracks anymore Sad
I guess I had been left out here to dry up and fade away  Rolling on floor laughing
I have not given up yet but getting close  help me

IP Logged
RedGrizz
Olympian
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Oregon ATV Advisory
Committee,  OAS
Master Inst.

BEND OREGON
Reply #40 - 03/01/07 at 10:16:04

Vulcan

Hang in there man. Undecided
I feel the same way but I know Grizzlyguy and PaPa will publish the ''ATV HELMETCAM for DUMMIES'' book soon. help me I will be first in line to get one. Rolling on floor laughing

OK you guys we need PICTURES in that book too, OK????

Its good to have great minds working out the bugs and brain fart cobwebs for us feeble simple minded folks Roll Eyes  [Like me]

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #41 - 03/01/07 at 14:41:52

Vulcan wrote on 03/01/07 at 08:01:19:
I have not given up yet but getting close  help me

Vulcan,

Feel free to ignore this whole thread. We're just brainstorming on some wild and wacky ideas, like making helmet cams wireless. No particularly good reason to do that, just seems wild and wacky enough to take a shot at.  Smiley

Oh, and don't blame me for all this wild-and-wacky stuff. Pa Pa Jack started the whole thing when he discovered that radio controlled airplanes could fly above us as we ride and video the whole thing.  Grin

Last I heard, Nyx was ready for her own HC-96 which would put you into the exclive own-2-HC-96's club. So I'd say you are right up there in the front of the bus. I don't own two, still just a pipe dream for me. So that leaves you, Pa Pa Jack and maybe RedGrizz(?) in that exclusive club. And it puts me right back to where I usually am: making deposits in your drool bank and trying to catch the bus.  Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
Pa Pa Jack
Aristocrat
Sponsoring Member

As long as the shiny
side is up, it's a
good day.

Hodges, South Carolina
Reply #42 - 03/01/07 at 17:10:28

GrizzlyGuy wrote on 03/01/07 at 14:41:52:
Oh, and don't blame me for all this wild-and-wacky stuff. Pa Pa Jack started the whole thing when he discovered that radio controlled airplanes could fly above us as we ride and video the whole thing.  Grin

Howze come Poor Ole PPJ gets the blame. I simply asked a couple questions and the entire thing got out of hand. Roll Eyes I am comlpletely innocent. Wink Besides, I haven't even mentioned the GPS tracking Helicopter that will  follow your every move without the aid of manual controls. They do it with golf carts already. Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing Rolling on floor laughing

Sporstman 800EFI - His
Grizzly 700 FI - Hers
  IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #43 - 03/01/07 at 17:20:13

Well it seem to me I need to load the 50 cal up and start tacking care of them UFO's that keep flying around. I can't seem to undersatnd how a servo in a RC plane that turns rudders and flaps landgear and other parts is going to work on my helmet cam. I don't have any moving parts on my helmet cam hehe
I also have a nice Remington 1200 series 12ga shot gun that will take care of the UFO's I miss with the 50 cal  Rolling on floor laughing

O GG yep we got 2 HC's now Smiley sweet stuff now the trick is to get to Utah so we can get some video. Just finished the new trailer 18 ft side load will haul 4 quads and still have room for one more in the bed of the truck Smiley

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #44 - 03/01/07 at 19:53:00

Vulcan wrote on 03/01/07 at 17:20:13:
O GG yep we got 2 HC's now Smiley

Dohhhh!! Sounds like you are the first member of the 2HC club. Unless Pa Pa Jack got his shipment before you did. But he just ordered his 2nd in the last few days. Better drain that drool bank of yours, my deposits are likely overflowing it and making a big mess.  Grin

No one is trying to use the classic RC transmitters/receivers or any of the servo stuff. Pa Pa Jack found some guys that make a different kind of transmitter and receiver. All these do are transmit video down from the airplane to the receiver on the ground, that is connected to your recorder.

So he is thinking he can take that transmitter and stick it on his helmet, instead of sticking it into the airplane. That way, you have a wireless connection between the helmet cam and the HC-96. See here:

So no need to blasting away at UFO's, you can save all that 50 cal and 12 gauge ammo for our Osama hunt! Hey look, Osama is baiting you:  Smiley

Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #45 - 03/01/07 at 20:13:56

Ok cool thanks GG things were getting way out their for a second  Rolling on floor laughing
I have a huge towel around the bowl so drool away my man hehe
I am thinking about getting one more HC before my trip to Utah this year that way I can have 2 on me and the wife can have one on her that should make for some good footage. I have almost 100 tape now so that will be 100 hr of cool stuff and if I can find a sale running I will get more tapes. FA had a great link but they run out of tape hehe I guess I got them all  Rolling on floor laughing

Now i can save even more money, at 2 buck a pop for them 50 cal bullets not cheap but they do make a lot of noise Smiley

That is some cool stuff the RC video but the price Sad I bet it will not be that clear of video but who know untill someone trys the stuff out. I'm happy with what I have going on right now.

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #46 - 03/01/07 at 21:00:29

Vulcan wrote on 03/01/07 at 20:13:56:
I am thinking about getting one more HC before my trip to Utah this year that way I can have 2 on me and the wife can have one on her that should make for some good footage. I have almost 100 tape now so that will be 100 hr of cool stuff and if I can find a sale running I will get more tapes. FA had a great link but they run out of tape hehe I guess I got them all  Rolling on floor laughing

Now gosh dog it Vulcan, you've gone too far this time. *3* HC-96's and *100* tapes. As compared to my 1 HC-96 and about 10 tapes. That I paid full price for. At Amazon.  Sad  I'm going to have to drink about 10 margaritas to get my saliva glands functional enough to deposit that much into your drool bank.  Grin

I was saving this one, but looks like it's time to bring out the heavy artillery if I have any chance to catch you in the one-ups/drool bank departments Wink: As a result of our latest never-ending snow storm, the wife has decided that we must *move to Utah*. Yup, you heard it right pal, Utah. So the race is on. I'll bet you two cups of dog snot against a Marysvale Special at Hoovers that we get there first. How's that?  Grin

You see, I don't mind hanging it out like that because I know my wife. Once an idea gets into her head, there ain't no stoppin' it. She's got her laser beam on the town of Heber City right now, which is fine, because it is basically on Great Western. Quadtrek will be passing through there, so it must connect to something, no? Now we may have to ride for two days to Marysvale to watch you and Nyx splurge on the Marysvale Special at Hoovers, but it'll be worth it.  Rolling on floor laughing

Vulcan wrote on 03/01/07 at 20:13:56:
That is some cool stuff the RC video but the price Sad I bet it will not be that clear of video but who know untill someone trys the stuff out. I'm happy with what I have going on right now.

Yeah, the whole wire thing hasn't been bugging me all that much either. Gee whiz, remember all the wires you had strung around your radio room before the FCC took it all away? No big deal, right?   Grin

But you gotta give Pa Pa Jack the kudos for creativity. If he gets that gawd-forsaken compilation of electronics working, my drool bank account is getting transferred to him. He'll be my new hero.   Grin

Oh, didn't you hear? He pulled a Vulcan. Got the whole transmitter/receiver set on clearance for a paltry 100 smackers!   Rolling on floor laughing   Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #47 - 03/02/07 at 07:23:24

Well Grizzlyguy you need to pay up my man. UPS red shipping or Fedex.
Try this out for size  Rolling on floor laughing

38 21 33
112 35 33.25

Now if you can find that I will tell you the rest of the story. I don't now about the Maryvale special last time I went through that place is smelled like dead fish. We could not even find a place to stay the town was lacked up at 7:00 not even a sidewalk was showing. I guess the dead fish smell was running everything away  Rolling on floor laughing

O just ask FA for a deal on 6mm tape he will be happy to send you a link for some reason he can find the best deals on the internet.

IP Logged
GrizzlyGuy
Former Member

Reply #48 - 03/02/07 at 12:08:25

Vulcan wrote on 03/02/07 at 07:23:24:
Well Grizzlyguy you need to pay up my man. UPS red shipping or Fedex.
Try this out for size  Rolling on floor laughing

38 21 33
112 35 33.25

Now if you can find that I will tell you the rest of the story.

How's this:

Why you carpet-baggin' scoundrel! You mean you're going to beat me on this one too? Before I can do my own carpet-baggin'? PFFFFTT!  Cry  Grin

I like FedEx. But it'll take me a couple weeks to collect the two cups of dog snot, so please be patient.  Rolling on floor laughing

Now wait just a cotton-pickin' carpet-baggin' minute, Mr. Vulcan. I had my satellite do a special overflight of that spot moments ago  Roll Eyes and something doesn't look right. All I see is dirt. See for yourself:

I don't know about Nyx, but my wife needs a little more than that. She gets real mean and nasty every time I mention the word "camp".  Grin

P.S. - Guess which Waypoint icon I chose for that place? Yup, "Danger Area". I know how far that 50 caliber will shoot...  Rolling on floor laughing

IP Logged
Vulcan
Former Member

Sun Shine State
Reply #49 - 03/02/07 at 14:08:43

Well it is a little more then dirt it has some real nice trees on it they are 10 to 15 ft tall and the power line is on the side of the property. It has a little creek real close and you can see all over the place nice views of the 12000 ft mountains to the north east and south west the little town of beaver Smiley should be a great place.
The numbers were sent to me and if you read my PM you will see I have people in high places Smiley I was sent a video of the land and tons of pictures. My firend is working real hard to get the deal closed on the second 20 acres to so when i get the go ahead I will send a picture of the land so you can drool more  Rolling on floor laughing
I am not the smart one here and credit needs to go to that special person for finding the land for me and making my dreams come true.
I'm just the  Smiley with the money to pay for it all  Smiley so when i need to go  Smiley I just go right out the back yard and up to the big "P" Trail but I need to work on the 05 it has some nasty bolders on it  help me Hum........ a little concrete and she should be safe for all.
Sorry I was holding out on you but I always save something in my back pocket so I don't get run over by you smart people out here  Rolling on floor laughing

The danger icon will not help it will need to be a hazard area one  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print