Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
09/02/14 at 20:03:44
News:

Our countdowns are approximations and NOT intended to depict the "actual start time" for events.

Please take a minute and fill out our Utah visitors survey.  Click here

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Markagunt Trail System (Read 3804 times)
Ky_Rider

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Markagunt Trail System
04/28/06 at 12:34:01

We will be making our annual trek to Utah the first week in July.   We've been coming there for six years now, but the three days driving is certainly worth it!    The trails in Utah are the most awesome we've ever seen, but I"m sure you hear that all the time.  

This year we have decided to base ourselves in Marysvale for two weeks, staying at Weber's.   I have just received a map of the Markagunt ATV Trail system, which I assume is a fairly new trail system.  

I haven't really had much time to study the maps just yet.  I'm sure there's a way to ride from Marysvale to access this system, and wondered if anyone had suggestions.  Remember, we will be arriving 7/1/06, so some of the trails may still be closed due to snow.  

I would appreciate any input.  We can't wait for July!!!!! Roll Eyes Smiley

IP Logged
ATVmanager
Aristocrat
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Ride On!

Re: Markagunt Trail System
Reply #1 - 05/01/06 at 17:27:14

Hey Ky.  You can come down from Marysvale to Circleville via the Paiute and then take the Freemont into Panguitch.  The Markagunt comes out of Panguitch to the west.  This is a very long ride though and you wouldn't likely have time to explore any of the Markagunt.  I would recommend trailering to the Duck Creek area.

Some trails I would recommend are the 7, then cut across 73 back to 7 and out to the end.  You can loop around on 72 back to 7 then down 71 and up 1 so it's not completely an out and back.  This one is worth the trip.  Also, 51 out to the end where it overlooks Deep Creek and Zion National Park.  Try #42 to the top of Henrie Knolls, unbelievable view of the lava flows.  Then, 1 all the way from Duck Creek to Panguitch Lake, then up to 2, looping around and back to 1, then back to Panguitch Lake.  Another nice ride is the 46, 47 loop, stopping off to see Mammoth Cave at the end of 46.  This is probably about three days worth of riding to see and cover all these trails, but well worth it.

Sportsman 800 EFI
  IP Logged
carlc44
God Member

Love to ride.

Reply #2 - 05/02/06 at 16:47:56

This sounds like a great ride.  What map are you referring to with those trail numbers?

Thanks............. Cool

'04 CanAM Outlander XT

Don't try to keep up 'cause you can't, and don't get discouraged 'cause you will!
  IP Logged
Dick C
Former Member

I love ATVs!

Reply #3 - 05/02/06 at 18:11:47

Quote from carlc44 on 05/02/06 at 16:47:56:
This sounds like a great ride. What map are you referring to with those trail numbers?

I believe he's referring to the Markagunt ATV System map that came out in late 2004. I got mine at the Cedar City FS office that fall. It says it's published by the Bryce Canyon Natural History Association in Partnership with the USFS.  It's printed on a 24"x36" sheet. Folded to 4"x8". Maybe there's something newer but I believe this is the one.

'07 & '10 Outlander 650XT's
  IP Logged
Ky_Rider

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 05/02/06 at 19:15:11

Thanks so much, guys.  We'll sit down with all the maps and study in the next few days.

We purchased our maps by phone from the Cedar City District Office.  It is the same map you're referring to.  It only costs something like $2.35 plus postage.  Well worth it.  

We may go out and camp on the trail for a few days--just have to play it by ear.  I sometimes average about 175-200 miles per day.  Of course, my riding companions usually average about 75 miles a day--they like to take their time.  So, needless to say I mostly end up riding by myself.  Not a good thing, I know, but I just love to ride.  If there's anyone out there that loves the long distance rides, let me know and maybe we can hook up at that time (July 1-13).  I can't wait to explore these trails, as I usually ride north from Marysvale (up to Richfield, Salina, and then north).

IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

Reply #5 - 05/02/06 at 20:54:06

Quote from Ky_Rider on 05/02/06 at 19:15:11:
Thanks so much, guys.  We'll sit down with all the maps and study in the next few days.

We purchased our maps by phone from the Cedar City District Office.  It is the same map you're referring to.  It only costs something like $2.35 plus postage.  Well worth it.

We may go out and camp on the trail for a few days--just have to play it by ear.  I sometimes average about 175-200 miles per day.  Of course, my riding companions usually average about 75 miles a day--they like to take their time.  So, needless to say I mostly end up riding by myself.  Not a good thing, I know, but I just love to ride.  If there's anyone out there that loves the long distance rides, let me know and maybe we can hook up at that time (July 1-13).  I can't wait to explore these trails, as I usually ride north from Marysvale (up to Richfield, Salina, and then north).

What is the phone number?

Polaris 570 RZR
If the women don't find me handsome, At least they will find me handy! Red Green
  IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

Reply #6 - 05/02/06 at 21:06:57

Never mind. I found it in the list of contacts found on this sight.

Polaris 570 RZR
If the women don't find me handsome, At least they will find me handy! Red Green
  IP Logged
carlc44
God Member

Love to ride.

ATV Manager
Reply #7 - 05/08/06 at 16:46:24

I bought the map and followed the trails that you mentioned.  Looks like fun!  I have a few questions, the trail from Duck Creek, up 1 to Panguitch Lake, thence up 2 back to 1, then back to the beginning.  On the map that looks like a 100 mile trip, what is it, actually, and how long does it take to travel?

Thanks,

Cool

'04 CanAM Outlander XT

Don't try to keep up 'cause you can't, and don't get discouraged 'cause you will!
  IP Logged
ATVmanager
Aristocrat
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Ride On!

Reply #8 - 05/23/06 at 13:20:52

Hey carlc, I have ridden from Duck Creek to Panguitch in three hours.  The entire trip would be six to eight hours depending on your speed and how often you stop for pictures.  You would need to stop at the Panguitch Lake General Store for fuel both going and returning.  On the way back you could take trail #4 from the Red Desert area for some different scenery, instead of taking #1 back into Duck Creek.  I would also recommend taking #42 to the top of Henrie Knolls for an incredible view of the lava flows.  Some other sights in the area are Mammoth Cave at the end of #46, Strawberry Point at the end of #58, Lydia's Canyon overlook at the end of #68, Sidney Overlook and Yankee summit along #1, Mammoth Spring on #41, Zion/Deep Creek overlook at the end of #51, and second Left Hand Canyon (#14).  Well over three days riding to see all these places but worth the effort.

Sportsman 800 EFI
  IP Logged
herbwallace(Guest)

Reply #9 - 05/23/06 at 14:00:07

What is the address, telephone number, etc. of the district office to get a map ya'll have been referring to?

Email   IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

Reply #10 - 05/23/06 at 15:54:31

On the ATV Utah home page,click on forest service contacts. you will find the info you need there.

Polaris 570 RZR
  IP Logged
Freddy
Super Sponsor
Big Ride 7

Adversity or
Adventure?.....Is
attitude

Reply #11 - 05/23/06 at 16:01:55

Quote from herbwallace(Guest) on 05/23/06 at 14:00:07:
What is the address, telephone number, etc. of the district office to get a map ya'll have been referring to?

Excuse me,under Home click on national forest contacts.
Freddy

Polaris 570 RZR
  IP Logged
carlc44
God Member

Love to ride.

Reply #12 - 05/23/06 at 17:24:18

ATV MAnager, thank you for the info on the trails, i must do them asap.  I am going to St. George this weekend, and i will give them a try.

Thanks again,

Cool

'04 CanAM Outlander XT

IP Logged
herbwallace(Guest)

Reply #13 - 05/24/06 at 14:19:32

Thanks for the info. I'll call and order my map. Our group has ridden the Paiute for 2 years. Is the Markagunt Trail system varied in terrain like the Paiute, or is it more like Moab?

Email   IP Logged
taccom
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member

From the swamps of
LA to the Mountains
of UTAH

Reply #14 - 05/24/06 at 14:39:39

Herbert:

It's very similar to the Piaute and Pansaugant trail systems with the exception of some rather recent Lava fields with a lot trees dying in the area, problably from volcanic activity.

Taccom: Always in Control
2007 Rincon with Duros and Rule 3000lb winch
2010 Rockwood Windjammer model #3001W
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
SPOT equipped in case of opps!
  IP Logged
herbwallace(Guest)

Reply #15 - 05/24/06 at 15:35:46

Thanks a lot, Taccom.  We hope to be back on the Paiute in September of '07, and will look at riding some of the Markagunt.  In the past, we have rented a cabin at Winkelman's, and gone out from there, in all directions.  So, probably we will trailer to the south one day or two, and check out the Markagunt.  I look forward to getting my map and checking out some of the previously suggested trails.  In '05, we really enjoyed the Paiute, and all of our group went ga-ga over the Fillmore Loop.  We rode it right after the Rocky Mountain Jamboree, and it was beautiful.  Anything like the Fillmore Loop on the Markagunt system?

Email   IP Logged
taccom
Post Ho
Sponsoring Member

From the swamps of
LA to the Mountains
of UTAH

Reply #16 - 05/24/06 at 15:51:59

Lots of Aspen and Spruce Forest, high mountain meadow, and of Panguitch Lake.  There are some caves to explore, lava tubes mainly and on the southern end, Strawberry Point which overlooks Zion National Park.

Taccom: Always in Control
2007 Rincon with Duros and Rule 3000lb winch
2010 Rockwood Windjammer model #3001W
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel
SPOT equipped in case of opps!
  IP Logged
Ky_Rider

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 05/24/06 at 18:05:19

Sounds awesome.  I/we look forward to hearing carlcc44's comments after he gets to ride some on the trail system this weekend.

Cool

IP Logged
herbwallace(Guest)

Reply #18 - 05/25/06 at 14:32:25

Thanks, Taccom. Sounds like our kind of ridin'.  We will include part of the Markagunt on our next trip to the Paiute. Just got back from a weekend trip to a trail system near Ozark, Mo.  Place called Chadwick.  It was ok, but not even as good as Mena, AR. , and not even in the same league as the Paiute.

Email   IP Logged
ATVmanager
Aristocrat
Big Ride 7
Big Ride

Ride On!

Reply #19 - 06/06/06 at 16:39:30

Herbert and all, the Markagunt is very similar to the Paiute in type of terrain it covers.  There is Pinyon and Juniper, Ponderosa, mixed conifer, aspen and alpine spruce ranging from 5,200 to 10,500 feet.  It differs in that it is mostly back country roads instead of two-track trail.  Out of 408 miles of designated route only 48 are two-track.  There are some incredible vistas and scenery though.  I have tried to attach some pictures without any success.  I will try to send a few to Gary to post here.

Sportsman 800 EFI
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print